Trade Skill Worker (TSW)

Trade Skill Worker (TSW)


The Federal Skilled Trades Program is managed by the Express Entry immigration system and is designed for foreign trade workers with work experience in eligible trade occupations to immigrate to Canada.

The first step is to check if you qualify as a skilled trade worker according to the federal government. Then apply through the Express Entry system. In addition, you will also need to have a valid job offer or certificate of qualification in order to be considered eligible. Achieving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) from the Express Entry system is your ultimate goal to be considered for permanent residence in every province of Canada (apart from Québec) and with the exception of receiving a provincial nomination from a Canadian province or territory. You will then need to settle in the province/territory that endorsed you.


Federal Skilled Trades Program


In order to be eligible to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you will need to meet certain criteria (some of which overlaps with the Express Entry system's CRS standards) in order to assess your suitability for the program before you can create your profile through Express Entry. These requirements are specific to this program and need to be in line with one of the specific skilled trades listed in the table below. 

form application


Requirements of the Federal Skilled Trades Program

  •  A full-time job offer from a Canadian employer for a total period of at least 1-year OR a certificate of qualification from a provincial, territorial, or federal governing body 
  • Language proficiency score in French or English measured by the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC). (Level 4 for writing + reading and level 5 for listening + speaking)
  • At least 2-years of full-time work experience within the last 5 years
  • Ability to demonstrate that you meet the job requirements of your skilled trade
  • You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada unless you have a valid job offer or can legally work in Canada.


Skilled trade occupations eligible under the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized in the following major National Occupational Classification NOC groups. The groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B. You must show that you performed the duties of the occupational description in the NOC. 


National Occupation Classification Categories:

  • Major Group 72:    (Industrial, Electrical, Construction)
  • Major Group 73:    (Maintenance, Equipment Operation)
  • Major Group 82:    (Supervisors and Technicians in Natural Resources, Agriculture)
  • Major Group 92:    (Processing and Manufacturing, Utility Supervisors, Central Control Operators)
  • Minor Group 632:  (Chefs and Cooks)
  • Minor Group 633:  (Butchers and Bakers)



220 Brew Street, Suit 301

Port Moody

BC, V3H0H6


Send us an email
Vangate on Istagram
Vangate on Facebook
Vangate on Whatsapp
© Copyright 2018-2021 Vangate Immigration