Spousal and Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

Spousal and Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

The Spouse or Common-Law Partner Sponsorship Class allows you to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner for a permanent resident visa.


Do You Qualify to Become a Sponsor?

You may apply to sponsor a common-law partner or spouse of the same or opposite sex if you meet the following requirements:

You must be 18 years or older;
You must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or a person registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act, (if you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the person you sponsored becomes a permanent resident and you cannot sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.);
You must be able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability;
You must make sure that they don't need social assistance from the government; and
You must be able to prove that you can provide the basic needs of any person you are sponsoring

What Is the Difference Between a Spouse and a Common-Law Partner?
Common-Law Partner: If you are not legally married, but it is a serious relationship, you are considered common-law partners. You must have been living with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months. This means that there should not be prolonged periods of living apart, even if one member has gone away on a business trip, is traveling, or a family obligation trip.

Spouse: A spouse is your life partner in marriage.


Unit 610, 220 Brew street
Port Moody, BC, V3H 0H6

Send us an email
Vangate on Istagram
Vangate on Facebook
Vangate on Whatsapp
© Copyright 2022 VanGate Immigration Group.
Design and Developed by Ashkan Pouya